Wednesday 15 June 2011

late breaking news

Well...this was breaking news...a few days ago! From the Canberra Times on Monday 13 June.
It is always a bit startling to see yourself in the paper, but I took consolation in the fact that all our accessories matched! Pictured with the lovely Markus Gibson-Huck and Sara Freeman.


A very unexpected addition of one of my pieces in the top border of the article too, though more unexpected was the reference to Snugglepot and Cuddlepie. Whilst it certainly wasn't a conscious influence in this recent work, those who know me can vouch that I definitely have a soft spot for gumnut babies and all the creatures of May Gibbs' imaginings.

I love them almost as much as I love her former home Nutcote - the dreamy 1920s house and garden overlooking the harbour from its gently sloped hillside posi in Neutral Bay.



 Now open as an historic house museum www.maygibbs.com.au , Nutcote features the trowelled render finish, open porticos and shuttered windows which were elements of the fashionable Mediterranean style of the time. And of course all of May Gibbs' tools of the trade, still in situ for the voyeurs among us.




If May was alive today and perusing my portfolio for wedding flowers, I like to think that this would be her pick - one of my all time favourites - a wild and cascading bouquet of roses, gum blossom, flannel flowers and vine, finished off with the most incredible frosty-looking macrocarpa gum nuts.


Good night, sleep tight...dont let the big bad banksia men bite!

1 comment:

  1. oooo you've hit the social pages! Your little broaches look gorgeous. Wish I could see them in person!

    I must go and visit Nutcoat again when I'm up that way. I agree it is a slightly surprising reference, but it is true, you did love gumnut babies. Gumnut babies and woodland creatures! I have a clay hedgehog you gave me for my 9th birthday somewhere. I should find it and blog about it now you're famous and all!! :)

    ReplyDelete