Thursday 14 July 2011

Winter weddings...or alternative activities...

It is definitely winter here in Canberra, and certainly not wedding season for me at brave botanics although I would love to make some winter wedding flowers. 
I think it is the contemporary trend towards weddings with an outdoor setting which obviously dissuades couples from planning a winter celebration, despite several lovely venues in Canberra with nice warm fires and a charming atmosphere. Also the wedding fashions, I suppose. 
Any brides out there willing to break with trends and forge your own path to a fantastic winter celebration please be in touch...for next year obviously!
There are actually many lovely flowers available, but you rarely see winter weddings in any of the Australian wedding magazines for inspiration. Although they release winter editions, they still feature summer/spring weddings. Anyway...the blossom trees in shades of white and pink have unfurled while I wasn't watching and there are bucket loads of papery poppies in tangy warm shades, daffodils, hyacinth and soon sweet peas. Also the year-rounders such as full roses and all sorts of orchids. Below is I think my one and only winter bouquet - it includes wattle - a sentimental and nostalgic addition at the request of the bride about to head back OS with her French husband to be.



  

Also these beautiful wintery branches for inspiration!

Another beautiful bouquet full of wintery goodness (daffodils, jonquils, grape hyacinth, lily of the valley, ranunculas) is this one from Martha Stewart Weddings, in my humble opinion one of THE best sources of inspiration. I have always loved the bountiful, overflowing style of bouquets that Ms Stewart has made famous...but there's also the colour combinations, use of unusual plant materials, bindings, attention to detail. I often actually catch my breath when I see some of the bouquets, they are SO beautiful...www.marthastewartweddings.com



Next post from me will be a new project undertaken with some friends - a photo-a-day challenge. I know these type of creative challenges are not new (drawing-a-day, photo-a-day, I even unsuccessfully embarked on a collage-a-day...sorry Susannah!), but we all needed a bit of a reminder to retrain our eyes to the lovely or intriguing details to be found in the every day.

We will have images up once a week...a very diverse group of  people behind the cameras so it will be fun to see what we come up with, and how they sit together.

My camera has unceremoniously died at the beginning of this challenge, so I am off to purchase a replacement...
XNP

No comments:

Post a Comment